Sunday, August 3, 2008

Unexpected Travels



Hi all...

This weekend was supposed to be a relaxing one... at home with Eva. With my travel schedule, it is really important to schedule "at home" weekends alone with the family. Peter went out of town to St Louis this weekend... so, I made plans to have a relaxing weekend at home with my girl.

Yesterday, I received a call from my mom at 8am. Not only did my Dad suffer a heart attack earlier this week.. she was calling to let me know that my 97 year old grandmother suffered a stoke and was not doing well. As soon as I hung up the phone, I went right onto Lastminute.com and booked two roundtrip tickets to Tampa with a rental car. Not only was I able to get a flight for that afternoon... I got it for a great price. Lastminute is totally worth it if you need something, well... Last minute.

So, two hours after the call... Eva and I made our way to Dulles airport to make a flight to Charlotte, NC for our later connection to Tampa. We had a near perfect experience overall. No cancellations, everything was on time... we were even upgraded to first class on our second leg! A wonderful thing as a single parent traveling with a 2 and half year old! (The seat is big... but a free cocktail was exactly what the doctor ordered!)

We made it into Tampa without a problem and jumped into our rental car from AVIS. We rolled into the ICU at Winter Haven Hosptial at 10pm... exactly 12 hours from when we loaded into my SUV that morning heading for the airport. Ahh... when the magic of internet booking and air travel work... its just a great thing.

We were able to see my Nana last night and she was very relieved to see us walk into her little area of the ICU. We stayed for a bit and then went back to my mom's house for the night.

This morning we bounced back and forth between my Dad and my grandma. I was even ablwe to help my mom clean her house, food shopped and made a yummy dinner for us. Again, not what I had in mind for this weekend... but, it is great to be here for all of them.

Anyway, I just wanted to send an update so that you all knew that I was not slacking on the blog.

Be good all and keep traveling... Summer is almost over dammit.
L

BTW - Set the TIVO... The Hills is back on MTV on August 16th. Who is more annoying... Heidi or Lo? Yeah, its a hard one.

No comments: