Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Disney: Behind the Magic


I am sitting writing this post right now in my room at Disney's Saratoga Resort and Spa in Orlando. I am here shooting a new Disney special with Sam called Samantha Brown's Disney Favorites for Travel Channel... and I have to say... I have a few cool insider secrets that I had to share!

First, I heard from a friend last week that Disney has a Tinkerbel character who flies on rip line from the top of Cinderella Castle all the way to Tomorrowland. My friend told me that as a kid she always loved waiting for the fireworks show at night over the Magic Kingdom because she wanted to see Tink. I have to say that I thought it was an urban legend... I could not imagine that something so cool existed at Disney and I had never heard of it! So, I went right to the source for the inside scoop!

I spoke to a Joe, a real Disney insider who works with all of the production crews that come into Disney to shoot. Joe told me that the flying Tink was real and that the coolest part was that the girl who plays the role of Tink has to "weigh in" every night before her flight and that information is fed into a computer that looks at her weight and the wind speed and adjusts the slack on the rip line automatically so that she always "flies" at the right speed from the castle to Tomorrowland! The best part... Joe and I stood with the crew in the middle of the Rose Garden last night in front of the Magic Kingdom to watch the Wishes Fireworks display and there she was!! Tink flew right over our head and landed in Tomorrowland!

After the show, we all went through the backstage area and Joe pointed out exactly where she landed! It was a huge platform that had a mattress to cushion her fall! Incredible! I begged Joe to sneak me into the park for one ride... we'll see if he caves. COOL, right??

Another secret of Disney, the best photo opportunity of Cinderella's Castle is actually right at the Rose Garden. The coolest part is that Disney has real photographers walking around the park who will take your pictures and load them all onto one "photo pass." Then, at the end of the day... you go to one of the photo pass locations and you can see your photos and choose the ones you want to purchase! Forget to stop in?? Line was too long? No problem! Log onto the website on your pass and you can access and order your photos online. This is especially cool for all of you who go to Disney with the hopes of capturing a cool family photo for the Christmas card! No need to worry about chopping somebody's head off!!

Here's one of my coolest Disney tips.... all of the major attractions now have a special line for single riders!! What's so cool about that? Well, what if you are a parent of a toddler who is not old enough to ride Everest or Tower of Terror? Who gets to go? Mom or Dad? Well, now you do not have to worry...you can switch out! The single lines are super fast so that you can both ride the ride without each of you having to wait in a long line as the other cares for your child. This is also great for ANYONE who does not mind riding alone! Your whole family can wait in the single line and just take a ride one at a time. Sure, you may not be able to experience it together... but, you also just did not waste an hour or more of your time in one of the pricey parks!

Ok, I have to get to bed... we have an early call tomorrow. We are shooting Sam right in the middle of Main Street USA! So, if you are at the Magic Kingdom tomorrow... be sure to stop by and say Hi!

More tomorrow...
Lori

No comments: