Monday, January 14, 2008

If you are sick... stay home.


Why do people insist on traveling when they are sick? Now, you know from my past blogs that I have been sick on the road and had to fly home... but this is different. I am talking about the guy next to you that looks like he is on his death bed and here he is sitting in the exit row of the Delta shuttle heading up to New York. I mean... if you are that sick (and believe me... I can see that you have been blowing your nose for a week) stay home! I don't want your crud and I think I can speak for the rest of the passengers and crew that they do not want it either!


You know, the month before I went over to Beijing, I had to get like 8 shots and then I also had to take a series of live Typhoid pills to build up my immunity. Yes... LIVE typhoid pills. You basically take a pill every other day for 4 days and then you are protected from Typhoid for like 5 years. So, I took the pill and on my third pill I realized that I had to fly to LA for work. I would have to bring the last pill of the series with me on the trip to California. A huge question mark came over my head... LIVE TYPHOID on an airplane? I called my doctor and immediately scheduled the typhoid shot instead. The shot only protects me for 2 years... but, I could not imagine bringing that pill on an aircraft. I would hope that everyone would think the same way before boarding an airplane.


Now, a lot of you asked what kind of remedies I bring with me on the road.. so, here are a few items that I NEVER leave home without...


(1) Ibuprofen - works for headaches and its great for that occasional hangover

(2) Afrin - Keep this in your carry-on at all times! Ear pain due to congestion when you are flying is one word... PAINFUL. Two sprays in each nostril before you board will keep you clear and pain-free for the whole flight. I promise this works!

(3) The pink stuff - you remember that day in Mexico when you indulged in street market food and then spent the rest of the night back in your bathroom. Just bring it.

(4) Allergy medication - I have allergies at home in DC...so, I always carry some extra allergy meds with me just in case. I was sure glad I packed it when I was in China!! The smog is so bad in that country that you cannot see your hand in front of your face in some places! They say that breathing in the air of Beijing for one day is the equivalent of smoking 20 cigarettes. Yuk.

(5) Tylenol PM - I always have a few packed. I tend take a Tylenol PM after a long flight... especially when I am in another time zone.... even puts the aches and pains of a long trip straight to sleep.

(6) Aloe - When I was in Costa Rica, I picked up pure aloe at one of the small markets in San Jose. It was handy the day that we all trekked Poaz Volcano in the Costa Rican heat! My skin was pink... even with SPF 30! The aloe is the perfect remedy for a burn and it feels great on your skin. Just be careful to keep it fresh.. I believe Aloe loses its healing properties 6 months after you open the bottle.

(7) SPF 30 - I am a white girl and I burn. (Here's a secret... if I look tan.. I had a fake and bake session at my local spa ... aka Mystic Tan! Its the only tan that is safe for your skin) I always have SPF 15 on my face, but when I am out on a shoot I slather on the SPF 30! You only get one shot at healthy skin... so protect it.


Now, I will ask you... HOW DO PEOPLE TRAVEL WITH ONE CARRY-ON and NO SUITCASE? Where the hell are they putting their daily essentials? I know... I know... lost baggage is an issue. I get that... but, even when I go away for the weekend I have a bag to check! I am not dumping my $55 bottle of Chanel age defying moisturizer into one of those cheap little bottles for security! I like the packaging.. it is part of the reason for buying the damn thing in the first place! So, I say... check it and pray to god that it is on the carousel.


What is in your suitcase? Do you have any tips and tricks? Please share... leave me a comment!


Lori

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too many pairs of shoes. For sure a packable down pillow from REI. I don't care that it takes up space in my suitcase - which never fits in the overhead by the way, plus how can you not check luggage if you are a girl these and travelling for more than a few days, there is no way all your toiletres will fit in that one plastic bag to carry on! But back to the pillow, if I have my favourite travel pillow and an ambian I can sleep anywhere.

Great blog by the way!
Becca Blond
Guidebook Author
Lonely Planet Publications

dervilfal said...

Oh tell me! Coming back from my fathers funeral the evil TSA people tried to repo my brand new bottle of Chanel Sublimage...I almost passed out from the stress.