Sunday, November 18, 2007

"Because I am the Mother"... a Monthly Feature from Eileen Rothschild


My mother knows A LOT about travel. She has been a travel agent for almost 30 years. The woman remembers the days of the hand-written ticket on carbon paper! She now lives in Florida ( like all good New Yorkers) and handles all of the travel for a cool sailing camp for kids called Sail Caribbean. She has graciously agreed to submit a monthly blog for this site. If you need travel advice or even booking information... please send her a comment! Here is blog #1... enjoy.


My husband and I left New York for the "better life" here in Florida. Since being here almost 3 years, we are wondering why we ever did this move. There are no diners here for an after dinner coffee and danish. They don’t even have a clue as to what a danish is here. I mean, I had to ask a cousin who was meeting me in Maryland for a family event to bring me kosher mustard! You can get kosher franks and sauerkraut... but no kosher mustard? Then there is the issue with the rolls and bagels. You can get both, but neither tastes like it should. They don’t believe in crusty pieces of bread and the bagels leave a lot to be desired. The closest thing to
a piece of Italian bread down here is a baguette, a poor second to a hunk of Italian bread.
I recently made a trip back to Long Island and came home with a schlep bag filled with NY bagels (all flavors), knishes (another of the unknown wonders of Florida), freshly grated Locatelli cheese (they only know Parmesan from Kraft here) and real black and white cookies.
I ask you, why did I ever leave NY-------could it be the weather!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh that is just awsome
we all know where the best bagels in the world are :) There is no diner like the terrace diner just off sunrise hgway god im dieing to go there myself now A freind of mine has a resturaunt in florida and he actually has his ingredients shipped from ny Its not the weather my love its the crappy water
Craig arco

Anonymous said...

Terrace may be good but we prefer the Olympic on DPA--best French onion soup. We all know in Fla that the water is the worst. Can't drink from the tap.

Anonymous said...

this cracked me up!

i love you aunt eileen

Anonymous said...

ps...i cracked up so much i forgot to leave my name ;)
love
melissa