Tuesday, November 13, 2007

DELTA's ZONING SYSTEM


As you know, I recently took a flight from DC to Atlanta on a Delta. Let me first say... that I really like DELTA. I do not work for them... and I do not get paid anything for saying that. Here's why... they have GREAT customer service. Some examples... the new attention they are paying to their customers on-board experiences. We all love Jet Blue because of the TVs at each seat. Well, Delta is fighting back with new on-board entertainment choices and they are also tapping chefs and entertainment insiders to help with their refreshment selections on board. I recently had a cocktail created by Rande Gerber. It was fab.. not like having a cocktail at one of his bars... but, made the trip a little more enjoyable. I also like that when they say that there will be a Delta rep meeting their planes... they do! I saw it with my own eyes, people.


They are typical in other areas... like WHY is there shuttle from DC to NY so damn expensive? I mean, I love that I get a snack on board... but do I really need to pay $200 more for that cheese and cracker snack? I also HATE their boarding system. What ever happened to boarding the first class people first, travelers with small children (which you should NEVER do)... and people who need assistance first... and then go from the back of the plane to the front of the plane? I am not saying that because I want to board earlier... because I always choose to sit in the front of the plane. So, I asked Delta through their customer service email address and received a prompt reply... Here it is...


Dear Mrs. Rothschild Ansaldi,


Thank you for contacting Delta Air Lines.We know that being on-time is important to you, and our goal is to deliver simple, fast and reliable service. Prior to implementing zone boarding, we tested it in several cities and found that customers were able to board and get settled intheir seats more quickly. This allows us to perform final flight preparations earlier, and an on-time departure is more likely.


Our boarding process includes 9 zones. The first group to board is zone1 which includes our First Class passengers, followed by our SkyMiles Medallion members in zones 2 and 3, and then all other customers seated in the Economy cabin are boarded in zones 4 through 9. The zone number assignments in groups 2 through 9 vary depending on seat assignments -window seats come first, followed by middle, then aisle seats. Also,please note that while there is no pre-boarding announcement, passengers with special needs such as a disability or children traveling alone are normally boarded first. If you require pre-boarding, please let the gate agent know, and we'll do all possible to assist you.


Again, thank you for writing. We appreciate your selection of Delta and will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

Kaye Taylor

Online Customer Support Deskhttp://www.delta.com/


I thought that Kaye did an excellent job of explaining their system... and again, I LOVED the prompt reply.


OK...so, I know you are dying for my tip on boarding with Children first. Don't do it. Boarding LAST is always the best option with small children. Reason is that if you board them early... that translates into more time that they are expected to sit still in a seat. I have a 2-year old and I make sure that she is well rested before a flight (I never force her to sleep on a flight... and it never works anyway) so that she is well mannered and has a bit of patience. I then giver her a clean diaper and I make sure that she has plenty of snacks, toys and puzzles to play on board. My husband will sometimes board first to get out gear in place... and then me and my girl come on later.


Do you have any advice with traveling with children? Please send me your travel tips, best family destinations and ideas. Would love to hear from you!

No comments: